The very nature of a motorcycle, exposure to the elements, with no restraints, and the vehicle’s light weight drive the risk of an accident up monumentally. There is a much greater chance of a more severe injury when there are no seatbelts, airbags, or other built-in protections. If you have been in a motorcycle accident, expenses can add up quickly. An Mt. Juliet personal injury attorney can help you receive the financial compensation to which you are entitled.
Hard Injuries After a Motorcycle Crash
The impact and the angle caused by a motorcycle accident can cause serious hard tissue injuries. Injuries can typically be divided between hard and soft tissue injuries. Some examples of hard injuries are as follows:
- Burns are common injuries in motorcycle crashes because of the engine’s high temperature. So much of the engine is exposed and can easily cause 2nd and 3rd-degree burns when a biker or passenger makes contact with the engine, exhaust, or manifold.
- Fractures are the most common injury sustained in a motorcycle accident. The wrists and pelvis seem to be the most vulnerable.
- Traumatic brain injuries can range from minor concussions to severe brain damage.
- Spinal cord injuries can be devastating and require long-term treatment and therapy, even if the injuries are not permanent.
- Internal bleeding may be present after an accident and is typically easy to diagnose, but it may not immediately present after a wreck.
- Organ damage can be caused by the force of impact and can jeopardize the life of the accident’s victim.
- Skull fractures can sometimes be avoided by wearing a helmet. The skull, unlike other bones, does not contain bone marrow, which makes it especially difficult and requires a powerful impact to break.
Soft Tissue Injuries
Commonly, there are both hard and soft tissue injuries. Soft tissue injuries can be painful as well as complex. The following injuries are considered soft tissue injuries:
- Abrasions and lacerations are almost guaranteed after a motorcycle accident. Bruises, cuts that require stitches, and even repair from a cosmetic surgeon are relatively common.
- Sprains and strains are caused by the odd angles the driver and their passenger land. The natural response to flying through the air is to protect oneself. Trying to protect the head or body can mean landing at even more unnatural angles on hands, arms, and wrists.
- Whiplash is commonly considered an injury that happens when a car is rear-ended. But they are also common among motorcycle accident victims as well.
- Torn ligaments and tendons are common too. They can mean therapy and even surgery after a motorcycle accident.
- Disfigurement after a motorcycle accident can be painful physically and emotionally. Cosmetic surgery can sometimes correct some issues, but psychological damage is a secondary, sometimes difficult problem to treat.
If you are the Victim of a Motorcycle Accident, Contact a Mt. Juliet Personal Injury Lawyer Immediately
Motorcycle injuries can be traumatic and require time and expensive treatments to recover. If you or a loved one have suffered a motorcycle injury, you must receive the treatment you need and the compensation you are due to pay for it. A personal injury lawyer from The Law Offices of Christopher Eades can protect your legal rights while fighting for the financial compensation you deserve.